Thursday, October 28, 2010

DIY: Dining Room Chairs

before
after
primed

all four before
all four after

around our temporary kitchen table





I wanted to do my own chairs after I found the fabric you see at Above All Fabrics. After I bought the fabric, I started looking around antique shops for chairs. Man, are chairs expensive! I really didn't care if they matched I just wanted to be able to recover a cushion seat. Well, I was talking to my MIL about my plan and she said to use the chairs someone had given to my hubby when he moved out to Oklahoma. They were PERFECT! I primed them immediately and then had to wait for the fabric to come in. I am  terrible at patience.  I also ordered some of the same print with a teal background  for plans of two end chairs in the future.


After we moved into our new house, my mom came down and I knew she would loooove this DIY project. We hit Lowe's and stared at spray paint forever. I was hung up because the teal color I loved only came in gloss and I wanted satin. I also wanted to do different colors, but on the shelf none of them seemed to go together. My mom threatened the thought of buying regular paint, and I immediately pulled four cans of satin spray paint and said these will do. As soon as they were in my mom's arms I couldn't believe how perfect they were together!




While the spray paint dried, we recovered the seats with a heavy duty stapler. Very easy. Well, very easy after we traded in our first stapler for a better one. 


My only debate is what color to paint my two end chairs once I get them!?!?




2 comments:

  1. and i just love the dogwood fabric, excellent choice for a true virginia home :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love how these chairs turned out esp love the different colors all pulled together through the fabric. I have been wanting to try to reupholster something and will keep in mind purchasing a "good" staple gun! Also enjoyed your pics of you and your guy walking into your new home for the first time :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think!